Saturday 15 June 2013

The Great Gatsby and London

Last week, two days before my birthday my sister drove down to see me and whisked me away to London, one of my favourite places in the world. I love the city, it's always alive with activity and you can never run out of things to do. But most of all I love the fashion, everyone is so much bolder there with their garments and I feel like each individual has their own unique take on style and I love it. So obviously we went shopping, I bought a tonne of makeup and a pretty crop top from TopShop, we each bought a few maxi dresses from Apricot, we had a fancy brunch just outside of Westfield shopping centre. We had such a fabulous time, living like we were on the cast of Made in Chelsea for a day. It was brilliant.
Another incredible part of my day was seeing 'The Great Gatsby' in one of those gorgeous cinemas, with a ginormous screen, comfy leather armchairs and blankets to keep you warm. It was a stunning place and by far the prettiest production of any novel I have ever seen. I adore Fitzgerald, he is one of all time favourite authors, 'The Beautiful and The Damned' is his best book by far I believe and I really hope they make an adaptation of that. Although, I hear good things about 'Tender Is The Night' so I look forward to reading that after re-reading all the others. Apart from his books though. his lifestyle fascinates me, we talked about him in our captivating Lit classes last year (I miss those days) and it came to light that he did live an incredibly extravagant lifestyle and that he would turn out a new novel as quickly as possible so he and his glamorous wife could afford a new fur she wanted. I love that, I like knowing that his books are a reflection of his own life and his relationships.
I have read 'The Great Gatsby' and I liked it, but I didn't fall into it and never want to escape. It was just nice, it painted a nice picture and story and then there was the romantic figure of Gatsby, so I was incredibly impressed by the film. It is very visual, and therefore less about the story because the novel is very slim. I disliked how it is told from Nick's viewpoint, because you don't get a full impression about Daisy and Gatsby's relationship, so in  way it lacks a bit of depth in that sense.
But, I just fell in lust with this movie, it was like sitting and watching someone else's dream for a few hours. Every scene was gorgeous and Leonardo DiCaprio was, of course, flawless. He has not let me down with any movie I don't think (I didn't care for Romeo and Julie much, though). He makes this film, he is fantastic, compelling and he definitely looks the part. So if you haven't already, please watch it, you will not forget it and I promise you it will exceed your expectations.
Being me, of course I paid attention to the make-up worn by the actresses and Daisy's was surprisingly soft and natural even on a night out it was a very soft brown and gray smoky eye, poreless skin
and perfectly coiffed hair. Myrtle's was much more noticeable with a red lip and full eyelashes. Every single aspect of this film was perfect, makeup, styling, acting, cinematography. Baz Luhrman did a tremendous job I look forward to seeing what he does next. Ad if you haven't listened to the soundtrack then you are crazy, I don't think any other film has a soundtrack that could compare. Lana Del Rey's song gets me every single time. Is there anything she sucks at?

No comments:

Post a Comment